Posts for tag: Eye Conditions
If you’re concerned about eye loss & age in Baton Rouge, LA, the ophthalmologists at Retina and Vitreous of Louisiana can help. They also have satellite offices in Alexandria, Central Baton Rouge, Covington, Denham Springs, Hammond, New Roads, Opelousas, and Zachary for your convenience.
Common Age-Related Eye Conditions
Age can take a toll on vision in several ways. Some of the most common age-related conditions include those below.
- Dry eyes: The eyes produce fewer natural tears as you age, which can lead to chronic dry eyes.
- Farsightedness: Aging typically brings on presbyopia or farsightedness. This condition makes it difficult to focus on nearby objects, such as a book or newspaper.
- Loss of contrast sensitivity: Aging can lead to difficulty distinguishing between objects of the same color, especially when objects are in the background.
- Glare sensitivity: It’s common to be more sensitive to the glare of the sun, lights, or digital screens as you get older.
- Trouble seeing at night: Driving can be harder at night as you age as the eye’s rods tend to weaken.
- Flashes: Many older adults begin to see some flashes of light in their line of vision. If those flashes begin to come more often, it’s important to speak to your eye doctor.
- Floaters: For many aging adults, the vitreous humor can shrink and thicken, leading to clumps of gel in the eye. This causes spots or floaters in their vision.
- Glaucoma: Glaucoma can occur at any age, but it's more common as people age. It can eventually lead to full blindness if it’s not addressed early enough.
- AMD: Age-related macular degeneration occurs when the retina begins to deteriorate or leaky blood vessels form under the retina. AMD leads to loss of central vision.
- Cataracts: Many people develop cataracts or cloudy eyes as they age. It's typically due to a breakdown of the proteins in the eye’s lens.
Treatment for Age-Related Eye Changes
The ophthalmologists at Retina and Vitreous of Louisiana in Baton Rouge, LA can help with eye loss & age changes. They can prescribe the best treatment for you, depending on your needs.
Your personalized treatment might include options such as eye drops, medications, eyeglasses, and habit changes, like not driving at night. In some cases, surgery might be required.
Let the team at Retina and Vitreous of Louisiana help with your eye loss & age changes in Baton Rouge, LA. You can make an appointment by calling (225) 768-8833.